What is VisionKey?
What is VisionKey / Questions / Shortcuts / Links & Resources
||"Technology is my salvation... Through VisionKey I have access to the internet and all its resources. I do my banking and pay my bills online, send and receive e-mail and activate my speech synthesizer."
Dr. Howard Hornstein, as seen on '60 Minutes' using Vision Key
What is VisionKey?
VisionKey is the latest in eye controlled communication and enables users with severe physical disabilities to type and talk with their eyes. Lightweight and head mounted, VisionKey gives users communication independence and control in their lives by simply "looking". The system also gives them each a voice by enabling them to control a speech synthesizer in the VisionKey unit or on the computer. Now users can write letters, play games, surf the net and listen to multi-media sound just by moving their eyes.
How does VisionKey Work?
VisionKey combines a viewer mounted on a pair of standard frames with a small control unit. An eye tracker and a microcomputer measure the position of the eye and when a selection is made, it appears on the control unit LCD and on the computer. Users look at a specific word, letter or character on the chart in front of their eye and "type" by holding their gaze until a selection is confirmed by a green highlight and a beep.
- Portability - home, office, school, care facility
- Flexibility - computer control, person-to-person communication
- Multi-platform capability - PC, Mac
- Versatility - desktop, notebook computers
- Multi-positional - sitting, reclining, lying down
- Good eye control in one eye
- Text-based skills to make selections
- Cognitive ability to understand and complete the selection process
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)
- Brainstem Stroke
- Muscular Dystrophy (MD)
- Cerebral Palsy (CP)
- Locked-in-Syndrome (LIS)
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- VisionKey 5.3, combined standard (direct selection) and scanning model
- VisionKey 6.3V, 6.3H, scanning (vertical or horizontal) model for users with limited eye control.
- VisionKey 7.3, evaluation model for distribution partners and rehabilitation centres
- Word-chart - introductory chart for training purposes
- Basic ABC-chart - alphabetic layout, upper case characters
- Advanced ABC-chart - upper and lower case characters, VisionKey features control, computer control
- Wheelchair mountable
- Compact, lightweight
- Works with standard software applications
- Compatible with rate enhancement software
- Independent of non-violent head/body movements
- Quiet, noise-insensitive
- Customer carrying case
- Graduated learning
- Built in battery/charger
- Five-point calibration
- Operates environmental control units (ECU)
Basic ABC Chart